Thursday, March 31, 2011

Locomotion

I didn't take any pictures today. But, close your eyes and imagine a little babe tottering forward on her own, all Bambi-like. Naomi took steps on her own yesterday! She's a bit wobbly yet, but there was official walking. (And Nana was a witness later in the day!) I have been telling them that they need to be walking by the time Easter rolls around, since we've signed up for an Egg Hunt and crawling around in the dirt in the fancy little dresses would be silly! I had also been preparing in my head the blog entry that described how Lillian, the dark horse in the race to walking, had overtaken her mobile monkey of a sister. Lillian's been doing laps around the house holding on to just one of our fingers and seems to show a lot more interest in bipedal mobility than Naomi. Lillian's also obsessed with the mail cart walker toy. She's gotten quite good at maneuvering it around, backing up and changing course when she hits an obstacle. I'd say it won't be long, but I said that about Naomi back in January.

Speaking of egg hunting, Nana brought over some fake plastic eggs yesterday to practice. We had to put them away again so the novelty won't wear off. But, the girls were way into finding and opening the eggs. During lunch, we hid goldfish crackers in the eggs and they were crazy happy to open them up again and again to find the treasure. Lillian also blew my mind when, after hearing me say 'open' and 'closed' a few times, she began to imitate those words and repeat them almost clearly. Not that I think she knows what they mean yet. She's approaching that parrot stage, though, which means it's time for me to scrub up my vocabulary a bit.

Dammit.

No comments: